March 31, 2009

Final days in Navsari and India

After leaving the blindschool I had a few days left in Navsari until my final departure for Germany. There were many things to organize and on the other hand I tried to spend as much time with the children as possible.

Although I had to be in Mumbai on Sunday 22nd I had my farewell in the school on Saturday already due to holiday on Sundays. All the students from both schools and the workshop came and all teachers and most off the staff were present in the prayer hall; even all trustees were there. We had many speeches, all honouring my stay and me. Again I got flowers and some presents as well.
After everybody had finished it was my turn to say a few words. Although I knew signlanguage and even some Gujarati, I did make it in English, to be able to say everything to its full extend. I revised the whole time I had been there and called back many memories and experiences I had made. After finishing I was told to say somthing in Gujarati and sign language as well and thus made everybody happy with a few words each.

It was a very nice farewell ceremony and everybody wished me a good journey. I think I have never been honoured so much as on this day and still feel quite astonished and happy, but also a little proud of it. These speeches were something very special and have a big meaning to me.

Sunday afternoon we finally left for Mumbai, stayed at a friends place for a few hours and then I set of for Germany, flying all night and reaching it 13,5 hours later.
But before we left the school all the students and most of the staff gathered in long lines at the entrance of the school to say good bye to me. It was very moving to see them all standing there and again I had to shake everybodys hand and many of the kids thanked me for staying with them. Touching every single kid again I felt worse the further I went and soon could not stop the tears running down my face.

2 comments:

Jeannette StG said...

That it was so hard to say good-bye means that they were attached to them, and they to you - it's a good thing:) And now you have culture shock in Germany - do you live there, or is it an in-between station?
Thanks you for sharing all your experiences in India. I am sure it has enriched your life, and you will never forget it!!!

Avila S. M. said...

yes it was really hard to leave and will take some more time to get back into life in Germany. My whole family is there and right now I am as well but who knows where I'll be next..
By the way, am I registered as a follower of your blog? Don't really get through this "following-thing"..