March 31, 2009

Farewell in the blindschool

On Sunday 15th I went to the blindschool again to spend some last time with the people there and finally have my farewell.
Although it was quite hot already I enjoyed staying with the kids and staff and practice all the songs again and play a few games. Because it was my final time with everybody my classes were a bit more relaxed but we did also good practice, because the kids were very motivated. Thus we did have a lot of fun and beside singing enjoyed taking and watching photos.

On Wednesday it was finally time to say goodbye and I felt very sad to leave this beautiful place. But before going we had a nice gathering in the hall. The students sang a few prayers, also wishing me good health and luck and praying for a soon return. After a speech of the staff and a student in which they thanked me for coming, spending time with them and teaching them so many things, it was my turn to say something. Because my Gujarati was still not very fluent I had prepared a nice letter in English for the school and then managed to get somoeone in Navsari to translate it for me. Thus I could read it in English first and then in Gujarati, which was quite a surprise for most of the people.
Finally all of us revised all the songs I had taught them and although we had never sung all of them all together it worked quite well. This final music made a good memory for everyone.

It was quite hard to leave the school. Everybody wanted to shake my hand and have a few words with me and would not let me go. Thus I had to shake hands again and again and the students could not stop saying “haudscho” which literally means “come again” but is ususally used as “bye”.

I felt very sorry to leave everybody behind, not knowing when I would meet them again. But I will always keep the time I spend in Dang in the blindschool in good memory and the people over there have got a big place in my heart.




No comments: