February 19, 2009

Working with the deaf



The time after Christmas in the deaf school was dominated by preparations and practices for a competition (chapter ) and “interrupted” by a few events like a kite festival on january14th. Still I managed to bring in a new element into my classes: a unicycle. The kids were really excited and loved seeing me riding it, because they’d probably never seen it before. Theoretically all of them wanted to have a go, but in the end most of them were too scared to actually try it; very often the older students more then the younger ones. The problem was that it was really hard to explain anything to them while riding, because I had to hold but talk with my hands at the same time. In addition to that some of the students didn’t even know how to ride a bicycle and unfortunately I’ve only got one unicycle which makes practicing really hard.
After coming back from the blind school I was confronted with a strange type of boredom and demotivation. Although the students really liked being with me and play with me, they very of the just sat down or started a conversation instead of practicing juggling, Diabolo, etc... Fortunately I finally managed to get their full attention again by introducing new games with everybody playing together.

No comments: