February 19, 2009

Competition

On February 7th and 8th an art and fashion competition was held in Vinadhjagar. More than 300 deaf students from all over Gujarat came to participate in general knowledge, drawing, henna, hairstyling and mascara, wedding dressings, catwalk and rangoli.
I was so lucky to get the chance to go there with many boys and girls from the school to see all these traditional Indian arts and styling.
In all ways it was a great experience and a lot of fun and with 15 winners our school was very successful. – Apart from some inconveniences according the traveling in the train and the accommodation (all girls and ladies slept together in one big hall, I shared a mattress with two others, and all of us had to take bath in 2 small and dirty bathrooms), I felt very comfortable among all the deaf people. Only few staff could hear and thus nearly everybody was signing. Being the only “white person”, many people took interest in me and this I’ve made many contacts and new friends and could practice my signlanguage. It was a great atmosphere there, everybody was so happy and friendly (and very respectful to me) that we al felt very sad to leave again; but this trip will definitely stay in my mind as one of the greatest experiences and gatherings with deaf.

1 comment:

Jeannette StG said...

really sound like a great event!