February 5, 2009

"Farithi" Dang

After a few days I returned to the blind school to stay there for two weeks. Again it was totally different and I made many new experiences.
Beside music lessons I did also many games and circus activities and a bit of art and crafts with the students. This change helped me to motivate the kids and work against the boredom that had occurred after a few days. But on the other hand it also led to less enthusiasm for music and thus I had to find new ways and methods to make it attractive. Again recordings and English film music helped me, although I never managed to really teach them latter.
Starting new things were not always easy, because often they had never done or seen it before and sometimes just found my practices funny. Especially with the younger kids I started some body percussion. They really liked it, but never managed to really explain it to each other. Thus I had to show it nearly everybody separately (because my Gujarati is still not good enough for big explanations) and this took a long time.

This time I was again confronted with planning problems and sometimes there were no classes available for me, which is obvious when having six classes (standard 1 and 2 and standard 3 and 4 combined) and eight people who do all at least a little bit of teaching. In the end I had an average of 6-7 periods a day, which was absolutely fine and enough. Because other teachers had to give me their classes it happened in the end (especially in the second week) that I had some classes very often and others hardly ever and it made it for me even harder, because I was again and again confronted with all the young students, big classes and sometimes very little concentration and discipline. Especially standard 1-4 had some problems to understand the small differences in melody and words and to remember the text of the songs.

It was very interesting to see how blind students managed to learn ju
ggling. All of them acted very differently and had more or less problems, according to their blindness. Some partially blind children manage to learn the first steps very very fast, while some, who where totally blind even had problems in simply throwing a ball. Fortunately some of the students were very cooperative and helped me explaining. Still I had to make sure that everybody was involved and participated and nobody was left out due to their grade of disability.

Afterwards I have to say that I have had a very good time in Dang in the blind school. I have made good connections and relationships with the people up there and my Gujarati has improved a lot.
Due to lucky circumstances I’ve got my own coconut tree now which will help them to remember me and I’m really looking forward to see all of the kids and staff again. Although it was and will be hard sometimes, the joy of everybody while having me there and their eagerness to play, sing or talk with me has a good effect on me.



2 comments:

Jeannette StG said...

the bling really have a lot to deal with when learning something that is simple for someone who can see! Must be fulfilling to help them learn!

Jeannette StG said...

soory for my typo: ...the blind really have a lot to deal with...