October 23, 2008

Navratri and Garbadance

Just a few days after my arrival the Indian festival Navratri started. It includes a Garbadance, a traditional Indian dance, with prayer at the beginning. In nearly every street were coloured garlands and the citizens always made sure that this place looked nice and tidy. The festival lasted nine days and people were praying and dancing every night. Thus I got the chance to learn some completely different dancing just right after my arrival. The students dressed me up and one day we went out together and I was invited to have a quick look at some of the teacher’s homes. On the second day a TV-crew came to make a documentation of the Garbadance of the deaf and disabled children. I had to participate as well and got extra dancing lessons.


Beside that I went to a big public Garbadance twice. There were loads of people and the media was always around. I even had to give an interview once.

No comments: