October 19, 2008

First week

In my first week in India I did a lot of different types of activities. When I stayed in the school during the day I mainly watched lessons or did at least try to watch, because most of the time the children and teacher started teaching me their sign language. After the lessons I usually spoke to the students, learned more words, showed them some games and got to know them and their life a little better. The kids are really nice and I was never able to just walk through the school premises without being noticed and greeted. Usually I received lots of smiles, waving hands, ‘thumbs up’ and polite ‘namaste-greetings’.



Several times I went out and visited an Ashram in the mountains or was invited to peoples homes. – Because Dandi, the place where Ghandi broke the salt law, is very close to the schools, I went there on October 2nd, Gandhis birthday. I visited a memorial and a museum and we drove on the read he marched on when he came all the way down from Ahmedabad to the sea.


No comments: